Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Tolkien Kind of Day

I'm the kind of gal who likes background noise. A good audiobook, all kinds of music, a movie, or my squirts practicing the piano. Most days an hour or so of good beats, English accents, or funny narrative is enough to get my 'chores' done but sometimes our home gets drastic. I few weeks ago I posted here about my Jane Austen Day. These are days when there is a big project to finish and I pop in the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice and get to it. Those DVDs are roughly 5 hours long. I can usually finish whatever it is I am doing in time to sit back and watch Mr. Darcy's eyes as he gazes adoringly at Elizabeth helping his sister play the piano....sigh.....
Sometimes 'the house', an entity in it's own right, needs a little more. Break out the Tolkien Day. That is when I put on the extended versions of Lord of Rings to get my big jobs done. I get out all three extended edition movies and haul my laptop from room to room setting it precariously atop something for a little background noise. Battle noises clang and crash as bathroom tiles get scrubbed and windows squeak clean.
Today is such a day. The summer heat is climbing and I do not like to clean in 100 degree temps.  Weekends tend to get used up in our house so I pick a Wed through Fri, give my squirts lots of review worksheets and healthy snacks, break out the M&Ms for myself and the sparkling water for drinking (remember, I am trying to diet here!)

When Dad comes come and Tolkien is on he knows some serious spring cleaning is ensuing. He usually takes the kids and gets out of the house.

So, what did I put on 6 months ago while I was preparing a house to move? Let's just say that every single one of the Harry Potter films can last you quite a few late nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment